Wednesday 1 January 2014

Happy New Year!

It always feels great to be at the start of a brand new year and to have new plans and activities to look forward to.

I will be taking on a lot more teaching this year, including at some new venues. I am looking forward to meeting new ladies as well as reestablishing friendships from the past.

My teaching schedule for 2014 has been updated on the tab at the top of this page.  If you need any specific information, please send me an email to kat.had@bigpond.com.

I have been spending a few days in an intense sewing frenzy to get some projects finished and some new ones started!  In fact I did too much yesterday and when I dropped a container full of small appliqué pins all over the floor, my son suggested I take a break! (Lucky he picked them up for me!)

Still, I do love my designing and sewing.  I am working on a brand new medallion in colours of rich red, teal and yellow green - yummy! I am designing each border on the computer and then sewing it and then working on the next border.  It is an exercise in maths based on a two inch grid.  This will be a new workshop quilt for later in the year.  My students always seem to appreciate it when I do the Maths!

Here are two photographs of another brand new quilt, completed recently and just quilted by Veronica Appleyard.  It is called "Fleur" and is inspired by the style of antique Dutch quilts.  The Dutch have a very rich history in patchwork and quilting, particularly using beautiful floral chintz fabrics.  

Whilst I did not have any genuine chintz, I enjoyed using lots of pieces of larger floral from my stash, including a collection I purchased in Houston at the International Quilt Festival I attended in 2010.  Brings back memories there.

Here is "Fleur" on Veronica's quilting machine frame.



I hope you like it?

Regards from Katrina


1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you also Katrina. Nearly finished machine quilting my Longbourne, and as soon as my new hip replacement has healed will get back into it. Will send you a photo.

    ReplyDelete