Thursday 30 April 2015

Arrival in Broken Hill

I have arrived safely in the amazing mining town of Broken Hill.

My small plane landed in Mildura first: great view of the patchwork of different coloured fields and rows of fruit trees and then another half hour flight to Broken Hill.

I was met by some of the lovely Silver City Quilters and then Jo took me on a tour of some of the highlights of the town.  Great architecture with many historic buildings.

The main street is Argent Street.



Here is the old Town Hall Facade built in 1891 and restored in 1976.


The historic Police Station:



This is the Trades Hall where the Silver City Quilters hold their quilt shows.  The interior is also magnificent.



We then drove up the Line of Lode to see amazing views over the town.  This high spot is actually the slag heap from mining operations.




We also visited the memorial erected in remembrance of the men who lost their lives in mining accidents over the years.



I have homework to do tonight preparing all of my notes into folders before class starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment