The challenge was "Journey" set by Jacqui Karl of New Zealand.
I wanted to base my quilt on a real physical "journey" so I was waiting until I went to New Zealand on my first international teaching assignment before I made my quilt.
Having returned from teaching at the fantastic 2015 Quilt Symposium Manawatu in Palmerston North in January, I reviewed all of my photographs and decided to depict the silk tree I captured in the grounds of the High School where the Symposium took place.
Here is a photo I took of the gorgeous red fluffy flowers of this unusual tree:
I first made a concept sketch:
Traced and cut out all the pieces ready for applique:
Fused all the pieces on a gorgeous piece of hand dyed fabric purchased from Distressed Threads of Christchurch; wadding and backing layered and pinned, ready for quilting/embroidery:
Lots of stitching in variegated green and variegated red threads using free motion stitching through all layers. Here it is all finished:
And a close up: