Sunday 8 February 2015

My "Journey" Challenge for TATT

I have just completed my latest challenge for my Textiles Across the Tasman friendship group.

The challenge was "Journey" set by Jacqui Karl of New Zealand.

I wanted to base my quilt on a real physical "journey" so I was waiting until I went to New Zealand on my first international teaching assignment before I made my quilt.

Having returned from teaching at the fantastic 2015 Quilt Symposium Manawatu in Palmerston North in January, I reviewed all of my photographs and decided to depict the silk tree I captured in the grounds of the High School where the Symposium took place.

Here is a photo I took of the gorgeous red fluffy flowers of this unusual tree:


I first made a concept sketch:


Traced and cut out all the pieces ready for applique:


Fused all the pieces on a gorgeous piece of hand dyed fabric purchased from Distressed Threads of Christchurch; wadding and backing layered and pinned, ready for quilting/embroidery:



Lots of stitching in variegated green and variegated red threads using free motion stitching through all layers.  Here it is all finished:


And a close up:


I had fun photographing it in various poses around the garden!



Hope you like it!

5 comments:

  1. This is delightful.....the flowers are super cool..... you did a great job and it is a little different from usual. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a bit out of my comfort zone but I had fun making it.

      Delete
  2. Love this Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a mimosa tree. We have these in Dallas, Texas, USA. Beautiful soft pink fairy-like flowers. Love your interpretation : )

    ReplyDelete