Friday 17 March 2017

Introducing "Highbury", #9 Jane Austen Quilt

I am delighted to show you my new quilt, number nine in my Jane Austen Quilt Collection.  I very much enjoyed making this quilt in a slightly brighter, pretty palette of fabrics in pink, teal, purple, green and gold.

I have tried to make each of my Jane Austen quilts different in both colour and design.  This quilt has lots of flowers, ribbons and bows and of course, lots of hexagons. 

I have named it "Highbury" after the village in "Emma" near where Emma and Mr Woodhouse live at "Hartfield". Highbury was a "large and populous village almost amounting to a town, to which Hartfield, in spite of its separate lawn and shrubberies and name, did really belong".

BloggerImage

Unfortunately, photos never do the colours of a quilt justice.  You never see the texture and interplay of fabrics in a photo.

I have been working to finish it this week.  I needed to sew the final borders together, attach them to the quilt centre and mitre the corners.

BloggerImage

Then I had to make the final four flowers for the mitred corners.  I "fussy cut" a beautiful motif from my border stripe throughout the quilt.  This fabric is from the "Old Sturbridge Village Anniversary Collection" by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Fabrics.  It is used here as the centre hexagon.

BloggerImage

Here I am in front of the quilt hanging for the first time at The Stitchers Cupboard in Camden.

BloggerImage

Here are some shots of work in progress.  These are some of the pretty Dresden flowers stitched together.

BloggerImage

The addition of leaves to the Dresdens.

BloggerImage

Hexagon strings:

BloggerImage

And more hexagons, with the fussy cut medallions.

BloggerImage

Here are some close ups of the quilt.

BloggerImage

BloggerImage

BloggerImage

I am very excited that the very talented Helen Hayes will quilt my quilt while I am away in the UK on the next Jane Austen tour.

BloggerImage

This quilt will be my major teaching piece for 2018.  Bookings are already being taken at The Stitchers Cupboard for classes next year.  I hope you like it?

4 comments: