Saturday 9 April 2016

Cruising the South Pacific on the Celebrity Solstice

I have been offline this week while cruising around the beautiful islands of New Caledonia with the boys on the Celebrity Solstice.



I was on a teaching assignment for Needlework Tours and Cruises, thanks to Maureen and Simon Laughlin.

It was actually my birthday the day we sailed out of Sydney Harbour on a warm, clear evening.  Dinner in the Main Dining Room was a treat.


There is no place like Sydney.  I am proud to call it home.



Cruising is an amazing experience but I am not sure I ever got my sea legs!  It was a bit tricky teaching fine hand appliqué in a rocking classroom, but my students were all gorgeous and we managed to do lots of stitching over the four days travelling at sea.

Here are the lovely ladies in my two day class who learned lots of three dimensional Baltimore appliqué techniques. Thanks for the fun and company ladies.


It was great to catch up with the gorgeous Pam Furniss.  Lots of laughs, and a glass of wine.


The ship was spectacular, huge and beautifully appointed.  The staff were all super friendly and helpful. The food was fabulous (way too much cake)!  Our Stateroom was lovely and so good not to have to clean and cook!


We spent three days touring in Lifou in the Loyalty Islands, then Noumea and finally the tropical paradise of The Isle of Pines (complete with downpours).

I loved getting the tender across the crystal waters to the island of Lifou:



What an amazing sight to see that luxury ship at anchor.


Loved the sunsets.


Next day was a tour of Noumea.



Including the fascinating Kanak cultural centre to see traditional village architecture and the modern take.




Melanesian totems.



I enjoyed watching the tug set us on course out of the harbour as the sun was setting.





Next day was the Isle of Pines, a true tropical paradise.  David and I went snorkelling to see the local fish and corals.  Gorgeous.  Sorry, no underwater photos but here is the scene.




Unfortunately the rain came in but did not stop another swim in the clear turquoise water with soft white sand.

Two more days of classes, teaching my "Lydia" table runner with large hexagons and my Applecore cushion.  This is applecores by Danielle in the range "Nocturne".


A collection of large hexies in Uptown Duets.


Now we are back on dry land, time to get everything unpacked and all the washing dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment