Tuesday 10 June 2014

How to Make a Beautiful Quilt Label

I have been putting the finishing touches on my two quilts for the Sydney Quilt Show.

The final thing to do is to make a beautiful quilt label with all the appropriate details.

A lot of ladies comment on my fancy labels featuring the fabrics and motifs from the front of the quilt.  No pressure!

I typed out the information I wanted to include on my computer using an attractive font.  I used Comic Sans size 20 for the title and size 18 for the text. I made sure the text was centred and spaced as I wanted it.  Then I printed this out on paper.

I sticky taped this to my light box.  


Then I cut out a rectangle of cream fabric and pressed a rectangle of freezer paper to the wrong side to aid stability for tracing.


I taped the fabric over the printed information and traced it using a permanent pigment pen.  Then I removed the freezer paper and ironed the back of the fabric to set the ink. I turned under the seam allowance on the edges of this piece and appliqued it to a larger piece of fabric.  


Add applique and borders and here they are, ready to go on my quilts, one for "Henrietta" and one for "Meryton".



3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tute! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt labels. You have inspired me to make a bit more of an effort.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete