Saturday 30 July 2022

“Floriade” Mug Bag - Aurifil Artisan Challenge for July


My second challenge as an Aurifil Artisan was to make something suitable for stitching “on the go”. Was there ever a better challenge for me, with my love of hexagons? 

I always have some English Paper Piecing prepped and ready to stitch when I am out and waiting or visiting or a car passenger, anytime really.

With this challenge I decided to make a cute bag suitable to carry a mug to class or retreat.  The bag can also hold a portable fold up table lamp or mini-iron.

I started with some beautiful fabrics from the Laundry Basket range called “Lady Tulip” and covered and whip stitched 112 1/2” hexagons together.  This is my favourite “on the go” part of the process.  All you need is a little bag of hexagon templates, your fabric, scissors, needle and Aurifil thread.


I love to use my Aurifil 50 weight thread for thread basting the fabric to the hexagon paper shapes.  This stitching stays in place.


I also use 50 weight for joining the hexagons together.  I prefer to colour match my thread colour to the colour of the fabric I am stitching.  The 50 weight comes in all colours and is so fine it melts into the fabric and disappears!

The constructed hexagon fabric piece forms the outside of the bag.  A beautiful feature floral was used for the lining.


A lovely pink was selected for the sides and button loop and the green floral for the handle.  Once lined with fusible pellon, all these pieces were hand quilted using a pink Aurifil 12 thread.

All of the bag pieces were pinned and stitched on the machine  using a walking foot attachment.  The circumference of the bag was then bound to finish.

I hope you love my little bag as much as I do.  The pattern is available from my website as an instant download or in printed form, with or without the hexagon paper templates. https://katrinahadjimichael.com.au/product/floriade-mug-bag/




No comments:

Post a Comment